"Surely a spirited old lady may be the prettiest sight in the world"
The Little White Bird by JM Barrie
Early on in this project I was supposed to drive this little old lady around looking at senior housing options in the area. This all came about because I included some kind of project in the children's wing of a hospital on my list of possible ideas for my 365 ways and my mom grumpily commented that "everyone always forgets the older adults." So, I added "be nice to old people" to my list. Now I guess I'll have to find another way to check that one off.
Another failed attempt: Minimalism. I tried, really. But, blame it on the repeated moving or the shyness, or any other of many personality quirks, I just don’t have it in me to give up some of my things.
I could blame it on being tired or on being in a social situation, but no matter the excuse, when the girl at the pet store asked me if I needed a bag I immediately answered "yes". In reality, no I didn’t need a bag. Most of the stuff could be put in my messenger bag and what didn’t fit, probably the bulky dog harness, could just as easily be carried separately in one of my two free hands (it’s such a fabulous thing, using backpacks to carry our school books so we have our hands free to open doors and gesture and, often enough in my case, to balance ourselves). But no, for some reason I answered yes, and now I’m stuck with this plastic bag that will be around many millennia after I’m gone. Maybe I should sign it? Some little kid thousands of years in the future might think I was famous then.
The thing about all these “failings” is that they might be minor setbacks, but in the overall scheme of life, they’re not so bad. This post is in honor of random act (well, goal really) #49 this year, so little old lady failing by its lonesome seems pretty inconsequential in comparison. I’ll be moving to Edinburgh, Scotland in 5 months so I’ll need to go through all of my belongings and downsize to what I’m taking with me, what I’m keeping at home, and what I’m donating. Therefore, minimalism is a battle I’ve lost this time around but there are plenty more battles to come. And finally, the case of the plastic bag. Every time I go grocery shopping I bring my own reusable bags. When I go shopping for non-food things I also bring a bag. If it’s a small number of easily-carried items I often say “no thanks” to plastic bags even when I’ve forgotten my own. And on a wider environmental scale, even though I have a car at school I only rarely drive. I either walk to class, or when I am using a car it’s because I’m getting a ride or I’m heading straight on to the Humane Society to volunteer. More adventuresome souls than I might decide to walk there, but I’ll pass up that opportunity, thanks (after all, it takes 50 minutes and is technically on a highway...).
So, back to the original point: world-changing idea of the day is acceptance of imperfection in myself and others. And, before any attempts at further inspirational rantings take root, I'll quote someone who can be quite serious in a very fun way...
"Wherever you fly, you’ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. Except when you don’t. Because, sometimes, you won’t.” –Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You’ll Go
No comments:
Post a Comment