Monday, January 9, 2012

One for One [1]

It only seems appropriate that I start out the year with my go-to charity, one of my absolute favorite organizations: TOMS shoes. Blake Mycoskie set out to change the world with his One for One shoe-giving campaign after he took a trip to Argentina in 2006 where he saw that many children ran barefoot. 

In developing countries soil-transmitted diseases are a huge problem because of widespread shoelessness, as are simple cuts and bruises. Many schools also require shoes as part of the uniform, so: 
no shoes= no education= no realizing of potential




The One for One movement is about people making everyday choices that improve the lives of children.
                                                    
                               **All information about TOMS comes from the TOMS website.


Three of my first four pairs of TOMS
Although today the movement also encompasses sunglasses and the giving of sight to those in need, I decided to stick with the traditional and buy my fifth pair of TOMS shoes. To honor the season I have finally bought myself a pair of stylish ankle boots that are relatively appropriate to winter weather. I’m notorious for buying cloth shoes that really can’t stand up against feet of winter snow.











 











And although it turns out my new shoes aren’t much better (clothwise), they’re warm!







P.S. Dmitri would like to say a special thank you to TOMS for obligingly sending him so many boxes, though could they potentially be a bit bigger next time? This one's a bit cramped. 


No comments:

Post a Comment